Bark Busters Dog Training Ask the Expert
You can filter these results to find questions related to behaviour problems of interest.
John asks...This question is about:
Hello. I recently adopted a Chihuahua mix named Kiba (female, spayed, 2 years old). She was described as being superbly socialized, and from what I saw this description was correct. When she first came home, she lived up to this billing. After a week or so, she became highly aggressive towards other dogs. We have another dog, Emmett (male, neutered Corgi, 2.5 years old), and they get along well. But Emmett absolutely LOVES Kiba, and he initiates play with her CONSTANTLY, and I mean constantly. It's pretty obvious that while Kiba enjoys playing with Emmmett, she certainly does not want to play with him to his level of frequency. I can see that she is pretty annoyed by this, although she won't snap at him or anything like that (she's fairly submissive). My questions is this... is Emmett's constant bid for play becoming a stressor for Kiba, to the point that she is becoming aggressive towards other dogs because she sees them as a source of annoyance? Thank you.
Graham asks...This question is about:
i have 2 dogs a 10 yr old f black lab and this 2 yr old f german shepherd..for the most part they get along fine..did get the dogs into an off-leash dog park..threin lies the rub..the shepherd gets pretty confrontational with any dog..usually running up to them barking and bearing teeth... trying to get them running for a spell either along a fence line or just around ..if the dog is bigger then her she will come back running up to me (10% of the time)..but the other 90% of the time it is a feeling of discomfort coming over me watching the other dog being barked at and thier owners concern..it has never actually gotten into a dog fight..and am at a loss how to deal with this behavior. i did meet a fellow member at the park with border collies who informed me that german shepherds fall into a "herding" category ..and thought that this might explain the wanting to run..but would prefer a more sudued approach on my dogs part to get her to engage another dog in running or any other activity..if you have any insight into this dilemma it would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance sincerely graham
Peter asks...This question is about:
We have brought home a 7 month old Cane Corso rescue. The only history we have is that is that he is mal nourished. Around us he is submissive and respectful, he does well with other dogs, visitors and kids. There are two things I have ?s aboutrnrnOn the walk he still tends to want to be in front and pull. When this happens I will give a tug if he does not fall back I will then make him stop and get back in front with the leash slack. The other thing I have tried is if he gets in front to change direction so that he is following. I know this will take longer that the 4 days we have had him but wonder are my methods OK.rnrnThe other issue is he tends to want to mouth our hands. On walks he sometimes wants to nip at the sleeve or pant leg. We are not allowing this and give correction.rnrnAny other advice would be great tks Peter
Desiree asks...This question is about:
I am so at a loss for what to do with my dog. I love her so much but she growls and barks every time we are out and she sees another dog. We've tried socialization, training classes, discipline, nurturing, nothing works. I think its an insecurity issue, cause she growls as soon as we walk out the door, even if she doesn't see anything, she growls at dogs through the window. When she is off leash, and isn't listening she'll run up to a dog barking and growling. It's embarrassing. She's never been a shelter dog, or homeless. She's been adopted several times, but never in a situation that would make her like this. She's never been in serious fight with another dog. I have no idea what to do. Please...Please help.
Heather asks...This question is about:
I have a male and female dog who have been sleeping on my bed for years and on couch. I'd like it to stop. I actually have a life long membership to Bark Busters with Jake and need to get in touch with them I suppose, but any starter clues, hints etc......They are both very smart and easily trainable.