The Bark Busters worldwide home dog training service guarantee is unique in the industry. It is designed to help owners resolve their dog's behavior and obedience problems and to provide customers with the satisfaction of ongoing support and peace of mind. Find out more
If you want your dog to walk correctly by your side, you need to make sure you have the right equipment. Bark Busters always recommends a 6-foot leash. Please do not use a retractable leash as this can cause injury to both yourself and the dog.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Association, there were 16,564 hospital-treated injuries associated with leashes. Approximately 23.6% involved injuries to the finger. Although all of these injuries are not attributable to retractable leashes, the following problems could occur:
· Most retractable leashes use a 26-foot chord. This distance could cause the animal to escape and run into the street. Additionally, should your dog be approached by an aggressive dog, it is harder to get control of the situation than if you are using a 6-foot leash.
· The cord can snap and cause cuts and burn.
· If the dog walker gets tangled in the cord (which is easy to do), bruises, broken bones and “road rash” can occur.
· A sudden jerk to the dog’s neck can cause spine injuries, lacerated tracheas and neck wounds to the dog.
· If you have not trained your dog to walk properly on a 6-foot leash, and are only using a retractable leash, you are teaching your dog to pull, making it harder to control your walks. Your dog learns to pull the leash as far as he can.
If you want to go on a leisurely walk with your dog, here are some tips:
If you have ANY problems getting your dog to walk correctly on a leash, call your Bark Busters trainer for a lesson.