1.You will be saving a life. Approximately 2.7 pets are euthanized each year in shelters.
2. You'll experience unconditional love. Shelter pets often have an uncanny sense that you saved them from an uncertain future.
3. You'll be healthier. Studies have shown that dogs keep you healthier, physically, emotionally and psychologically.
4. You'll have a large selection. Many shelters have dogs of every age, breed, color, size and temperament.
5. You help break the cycle of pet overpopulation. There are more dogs available than people willing to adopt them!
6. Many shelter dogs are older. Although puppies are cute, older dogs tend to be house trained and understand basic obedience.
7. You assist a not-for-profit organization. Many shelters provide an invaluable service to the community, taking in dogs that are unwanted or discarded through no fault of their own.
8. You'll save money. Usually shelters cover the spay/neuter cost, vaccinations and even microchipping. Buying a dog from a breeder can cost you a small fortune!
9. A pet purchased from a pet store is a complete unknown.With a shelter dog, the rescue group often want to make a good match and will help you through the familiarization and provide the history if they know it.
10. You become a role model. When you post a selfie with your new dog, your friends will ask : 'where did you get him/her'? You'll proudly be able to say 'at the shelter'. Your adoption may encourage others to do the same.